Do I Have a Personal Injury Case?
If you’re the victim of someone else’s negligence, you may have a personal injury case and be due financial compensation. Negligence results when:
- Someone must exercise reasonable care;
- The person breaches that duty by an act or omission;
- The breach of the duty of reasonable care causes injury to another; and
- The injured person suffers damages.
Personal injuries often occur from motorcycle and car accidents, pedestrian accidents, Lyft accidents, bicycle accidents, medical malpractice, or slip and fall accidents. If you have injuries or medical costs that were someone else’s fault, then you should call a Tampa personal injury lawyer today.
When to Hire Tampa Personal Injury Lawyer
If you’re new to an attorney-client relationship, you may wonder about the advantages of hiring a personal injury law firm.
One reason is that your legal team can better help you recover compensation. Research from one insurance company shows that a claim handled by an experienced Tampa personal injury attorney settles for 400% more than a claim that an individual handles without an accident lawyer (on average).
This fact is the major reason insurance claims adjusters are so aggressive in getting individuals to resolve their claims before personal injury lawyers get involved.
Remember the basic rule of insurance companies
Insurance companies sell insurance products and are in the business of making money. They generate revenue from consumers paying them for the insurance. Their costs occur when they have to pay claims. Insurance companies want to sell more policies and pay fewer claims to be profitable.
These are billion-dollar companies that have been making record profits year after year. To put it in perspective, State Farm once saw a $3.2 billion increase in net income from one year to the next. Insurance companies are very good at denying or settling claims for pennies on the dollar.
Personal injury lawyers don’t cost you money upfront so that they can fight for you against these large insurance companies. Lawyers for personal injury victims are most often paid at the backend of your case, about 33% of the recovery on average. Read section 627.736 for more information on the personal injury protection benefits you’re entitled to.
The success of any legal matter depends on the unique circumstances of each case, therefore, we cannot guarantee particular results for future clients.
Let’s do some quick math. For example, let’s say a claim resolves for $25,000 with an injury lawyer.
In automobile accidents, let’s assume that the average claim a lawyer settled was 400% more than a claim settled without an attorney. In this example, the victim would receive a $6,250 settlement (before the medical bills are paid!) on their own.
With an attorney, the victim would receive $25,000, less the settlement fee of $8,325. That’s $16,675 (before medical bills are paid), which is more than $10,000 above a case handled without a lawyer.
There are certain situations where it might be worthwhile resolving a case without a lawyer. For example, in injury cases where the medical bills are a couple of thousand dollars or less and the person does not have a permanent injury.
If someone does not have a permanent injury in Florida, they cannot ask for compensation for pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. These damages significantly increase the value of a personal injury claim.
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle
If you’re looking for a law office or team of trial attorneys, Denmon Pearlman may be the right fit for you. Below is a list of the cases we handle for our clients.
Our team handles accidents in and around Tampa, FL. According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV), over 250,000 people died from traffic accidents in 2021. If you’ve been involved in an auto accident and suffered catastrophic injuries due to a negligent driver, our law firm can help you.
Truck accidents can be devastating, especially when semi-trucks are involved. You need an experienced PI attorney to go up against insurance and trucking companies on your behalf, and that is exactly what we do for our clients.
Slip and Fall Accidents
Property owners are responsible for providing a safe environment and making repairs when unsafe conditions exist. We help slip and fall accident victims recover compensation to cover medical expenses, lost wages, physical pain and suffering, and more.
Bicycle accidents frequently occur in Tampa, FL, which is a case we handle for our clients. Always be careful when riding a bike in Florida and if the worst happens, talk with a personal injury attorney who can help you recover from an accident.
Like bicycles on the road, motorcycles are common in Tampa, FL, and unfortunately, many motorcycle drivers will be involved in an accident. Careless drivers are often to blame for catastrophic injury to motorcyclists. In this type of auto accident, we help injury victims with a strong injury claim get maximum compensation.
Uber and Lyft Accidents
Ridesharing accidents may result in the same injured victims as traditional ones, but these cases have unique factors. One difference is that the driver will have their insurance policy, as will Uber or Lyft. Navigating the different insurance firms is just one way we help injured clients get the most from their cases.
Neck and Back Injury
We can help our clients with any significant neck or back injury resulting from a negligent party, whether due to a workplace accident, drunk driving accident, or other situation. Regardless of how it happened, we can help hold the liable party responsible so you can recover compensation for injuries.
Pedestrians can be injured by truck drivers, in car accident cases, and even by a property owner that has failed to repair an unsafe environment. Regardless of how a pedestrian is injured, our experienced personal injury team and injury attorneys help defend pedestrians when an accident occurs.
Our Tampa, FL team has years of experience getting settlements from local hospitals. Medical malpractice can lead to birth injuries, traumatic brain injury victims, and more. We use all legal resources to defend our clients when medical malpractice occurs.
When you buy a product, you are not expecting it to be defective. A defective product might have a flaw in the design, fail to work correctly, or simply malfunction and cause you harm. When that happens, our law firm is there for clients.
Dog Bite Accidents
Dog bites can occur at a friend’s house while you’re eating dinner or in your neighborhood when someone’s dog runs up to you and attacks. Regardless of how it happens, a dog attack can cause significant injuries to victims, resulting in medical bills, lost wages, and more. And just like a car accident, where the driver of a car is liable, in the case of dog bites, the responsible party is the dog’s owner. Read section 767.04 for more about dog bites and damages.
Nursing Home Abuse
No one wants to think about abuse happening to loved ones, but it can occur. We represent clients who have a loved one in a nursing home who are victims of abuse or negligence. If you suspect this may be happening in your family, call our team for your case evaluation.
Why Choose Denmon Pearlman Law
If you or a loved one has been involved in any kind of accident causing back injuries, spinal cord injury, traumatic brain injuries, or other trauma, one of your next steps is to consult a lawyer who can help you. Choosing and hiring an attorney may seem hard, and it is important. Below are just a couple of reasons you should hire Denmon Pearlman in Tampa, FL.
Proven Success Handling PI Cases – We have a proven track record of helping our clients with a wide range of cases. Whether we’re fighting insurance companies on a premises liability or drunk driving case, you get the highest level of experience in your corner. In fact, five of our attorneys have been recognized as the “Top 100” lawyers in Florida by the NTLA and achieved a perfect rating (10/10) on AVVO.com.
No Fee Until We Win You A Settlement – When it comes to a car accident or personal injury case, you don’t pay anything upfront for your case. We work on a contingency basis, which means we get paid when you win.
How We Maximize Your Insurance Claim & Payout
The physical injury falls under civil trial law, which is our firm’s specialty. We have a proven process that ensures maximum compensation for our clients.
1. Craft the best claim for you – Our attorneys will look at your case with a unique perspective to make the best case for you at your consultation. They will ask questions designed to figure out your objectives and what kind of case you have. This way, they can create an approach to accomplish your specific goals.
2. Gather information to build and strengthen your case – A part of building your case requires gathering all the relevant information, which includes medical records, accident reports, property owner details, and information from other parties involved. Our lawyers know who to contact to get all the necessary information for your case and what information they need to gather.
It can be confusing to know what details you need for your claim and how to get it. We will take care of that for you.
3. Act as a guide in injury claims – After an accident, you may have serious injuries that cause you to miss work, file for social security disability, or see multiple doctors. We guide you through each step of the process to never be confused about what to do. We also act as a resource to give you the best recommendations for your recovery and case.
Whether it is recommending what kind of medical care to get, helping you file for disability, or guiding you through interactions with an insurance representative, our team will be by your side as an advocate.
4. Deal with insurance companies & defense attorneys – Dealing with insurance claims and companies can be a hassle. You may wonder if you have to sign releases, give recorded statements, and what you should or should not say. When you hire our attorneys, you get someone who knows how to deal with these companies.
One of the best things about having an insurance attorney represent you is having a lawyer step in for you. We’ll let you know what information you do and do not have to give and represent you at any proceedings so that you are armed with someone to talk you through everything step-by-step.
5. Negotiate a fair settlement amount – Auto accidents settlement claim negotiation is a significant and important part of your case. An insurance company or defense team may offer a settlement to avoid court. However, early settlement amounts can be very low in the hopes you are happy to get anything. We use our knowledge of Florida personal injury law to negotiate something fair that will truly compensate you for costs like medical bills, property damage, or time off work. We make sure you can take care of these expenses and focus on moving forward.
6. Go to court if necessary – Sometimes, insurance companies and defense teams are unwilling to negotiate. If this is the case, we have extensive trial experience and are not be afraid to go to court to get what you deserve. Going to court may lead to a fairer settlement offer in many cases.
Successful Cases – Personal Injury
What does it look like to work with Denmon Pearlman? Below are a couple of successful case outcomes we secured for our clients.
Travis – Car Accident
Travis was driving with his best friend when they were unexpectedly t-boned. As a result of the accident, Travis suffered from back and neck injuries that forced him to give up his job and hobbies like car repair and basketball. After working with Denmon Pearlman, Travis received a settlement of $140,000, which he plans to use to start his own business!
Josephine – Car Accident
Josephine was hit by a truck coming out of the Wawa parking lot. Her neck, shoulder, and entire left side were affected, which led to difficulty walking and ongoing pain. Once Josephine contacted the Denmon Pearlman team, we went to work and helped her settle her case. Not only were we able to get her a fair settlement, but we also walked with her every step of the way. As she explains, “You don’t just get an attorney; you get the comfort you can call 24 hours of the day. You don’t just become a client; you become part of a family.”
The success of any legal matter depends on the unique circumstances of each case; therefore, we cannot guarantee particular results for future clients.
Call the Experienced Tampa Personal Injury Lawyers at Denman Pearlman Today!
If you need a personal injury team on your side, call or complete our contact form today. We offer a free consultation to review your case and help you take the first step to a fair settlement.
Choosing the Right Lawyer for Your Case
Choosing an attorney to represent you is an important decision. The attorney you choose will be responsible for building your case and fighting to get you results. If you’re considering multiple attorneys, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Experience: Legal experience is probably the most important thing to check. Someone specializing in personal injury will know how to best help you after an accident. You can search for an attorney on the Florida Bar website to see how long someone has practiced. The attorneys at Denmon Pearlman have plenty of experience helping clients recover. We use our knowledge of Florida law and the legal process to get the best results.
- Client results: When choosing an attorney, the results they can get for you are a big concern. You want to make sure the lawyer you pick can help you get the best outcomes. Many lawyers have testimonials on their web pages. These can give you a good idea of what you can expect from your case.
- Attorney reviews and ratings are also a helpful indicators of client satisfaction. Good results lead to happy clients, so a high rating likely indicates that clients were happy with how their case was handled.
- Attend a free consultation: Many personal injury attorneys offer free consultations. Your initial consultation will allow you to ask important questions and get a feel for how your case will go. We will evaluate your claim and make sure you are confident that we can represent you with the highest level of quality.
How Do I Talk to an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer?
Talking to a legal professional may seem difficult. Do you need to know legal terminology? What should you say or not say? Are there specific questions you should ask? Talking to an attorney does not have to be complicated or complex. Here are a few things to know when having a conversation with your attorney:
- Be as honest and thorough as possible. While you may think certain information is irrelevant or may hurt your case, it is essential to tell your lawyer everything you can, including information about the incident, your medical history, events leading up to the accident, or anything else. Part of the process is using the information you give to build the best case. An attorney cannot do their job without all the facts. Answer any questions truthfully, and give as many details as possible.
- Ask questions if you do not understand something. When discussing your case, you may hear terms or concepts that you do not fully understand. If you feel confused, do not hesitate to stop and ask questions. You should feel confident and secure about your knowledge of an attorney’s approach. Part of a lawyer’s job is to answer any questions you have.
- Communicate any changes or updates to your attorney throughout your case. It is not uncommon for changes or developments during your case. These can include changes in symptoms or injuries, contact with an insurance company, or changes to workers’ compensation benefits. Your attorney needs this information to develop your case accordingly, so make sure to let them know about anything that comes up.
What Questions Should I Ask My Attorney About My Case?
At your initial free case evaluation, part of the time should be spent answering any questions you have. Some questions you should ask your Tampa attorney include:
- How much experience do you have helping clients like me?
- What kind of claim do you think I have?
- What damages can I seek in my case?
Watch: What Damages Can I Seek in a Personal Injury Lawsuit Florida:
The success of any legal matter depends on the unique circumstances of each case, therefore, we cannot guarantee particular results for future clients.
- What can I expect from my case?
In addition to the above questions, there are many others you can and should ask your lawyer. Below are some of the most common questions and answers to help you be well-informed about the process.
How Long Do Car Accident Claims Take?
There are many steps involved when filing a claim, and the process can be lengthy. No case is alike, and each case will have its specific timeline. However, on average, a few factors influence how long your case takes. The first is filing your claim.
This part of the process can take time, from finding the right attorney to actually filing the claim. The statute of limitations to file a claim is typically four years, so contacting an attorney as soon as possible is crucial. You may also need to file for benefits such as workers’ comp and social security as part of your claim.
If your injuries are extensive, such as dismemberment, spinal cord injuries, or a brain injury, treatment may take a long time and require several treatment methods. Because your case is largely dependent on your medical damages, this will affect how long it takes to gather all the necessary documentation and make the case.
Negotiations with an insurance company or defense teams can add time to the claims process. Sometimes, settlement talks can result in a fair settlement being reached quickly. Other times, settlement may take longer or be unsuccessful. For more information about the settlement process, you can visit this link. The case may go to trial if negotiations can’t be reached, adding additional time. Because each case is unique, we recommend consulting with an attorney to understand better how long your case may take.
What is the timeline of my injury case?
What Is the Average Settlement for Cases?
The average settlement for a case can vary depending on the specific type of your case. For example, the average compensation for a standard motor vehicle accident can be $10,000-$20,000. This can be much higher if there is serious injury or wrongful death. A lawyer can let you know how much your case is worth, or you can use free pain and suffering calculator for estimations. Below are some factors that can influence a settlement amount:
- How severe your injuries are. If your injuries are serious, you may require extensive medical treatment, leading to higher expenses. Costs can add up quickly, from medical bills, out-of-pocket expenses, and time off from work or permanent disability.
- Wrongful death. If a loved one was killed in an accident due to the negligence of another, your damages might be more significant due to a wrongful death claim, loss of consortium, or other associated claims.
- Pain and suffering. Pain and suffering is a claim for non-economic damages that often results in some of the larger settlements from courts. Pain and suffering can be claimed for the physical and mental distress caused by your incident. You can calculate an estimate of pain and suffering damages here.
Watch: What is My Personal Injury Claim Worth:
The success of any legal representation depends on the unique circumstances of each case, therefore, we cannot guarantee particular results for future clients.
What Happens If I Lose My Claim?
Unfortunately, not every case will result in success. If you lose your case, you may worry about the costs and what will happen. Fortunately, many Tampa personal injury attorneys, including Denmon Pearlman, work on a contingency fee basis. This means that if you do not win your case, you are not responsible for paying the attorney fees. In the event of a court award, litigation costs will often be split between all attorneys who worked on your case.
Choosing an attorney with a history of client success and many years’ experience working with Tampa clients will give you the best shot at winning your case and getting a settlement that will allow you to recover.
Can I Fire My Attorney?
If you are unhappy with how your case is proceeding or your representation, you have the right to fire your attorney and choose another one. Remember that just because a case is not moving very quickly does not necessarily mean that an attorney is not doing their job. It can sometimes take time to gather information and build your case. Your attorney may just be doing their job to be as thorough as possible.
However, if you feel that your representation involves a lack of communication, unanswered questions, or failure to listen to you, you can fire your attorney and choose someone to represent your interests better.
Christian Denmon is the managing partner and lead divorce lawyer at Denmon Pearlman. Christian is known for being dedicated to helping his clients through difficult family law and accident cases. As a result of his dedication to his clients, Christian is a four-time consecutive recipient of the AVVO Client’s Choice Award and was designated a SuperLawyer Rising Star in 2017.
In addition, he has been named a Top 100 and Top 40under 40 Civil Trial Lawyers by the NTLA. Christian frequently contributes to Huffington Post and lives in St. Petersburg with his wife, their two daughters, and two dogs.
Lee Pearlman is a personal injury and criminal defense attorney with a reputation for helping clients fight for fair offers and results that will benefit them. Lee has extensive trial experience and has fought against insurance companies all over Florida on behalf of his clients. Lee served two years in the military police before law school, and went on to compete in Stetson Law School’s Trial Team and Alternative Dispute Resolution Board while studying to become an attorney. Lee lives with his wife and their two sons in Pinellas County.
Nicole Pearlman is a personal injury trial lawyer who leads Denmon Pearlman’s Pre-Suit Personal Injury Division. Nicole uses her trial experience from her time as Assistant State Attorney for Pinellas County and her several years of practice in family law to get the best result for her clients and steadfastly represent them in court. Nicole is a huge fan of the Florida Gators, and lives in Pinellas County with her husband, Lee Pearlman, and their two sons.
Our Services and Practice Areas
- Burn Injury
- Dog Bites
- Neck Injury
- Negligent Security
- Product Liability
- Slip and Fall
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Workers’ Compensation
- Car Accident
- Motorcycle Accident
- Bicycle Accident Lawyer
- Pedestrian Accident
- School Bus Accident
- Truck Accident
- Uber Accident
- Medical Malpractice
- Nursing Home Abuse
Call the Experienced Tampa Attorney at Denmon Pearlman Today!
If you’re injured, lost income, or have medical bills from an accident due to the negligence of others in the Hillsborough or Tampa Bay area, you need someone with the experience and the knowledge to fight for you. The expert attorneys at the law group of Denmon Pearlman are known for providing top-notch legal representation services. We are ready and willing to assist you with any questions and legal services.
Specializing in personal injury and serving Tampa, we are dedicated to assisting our clients with their recovery. We will talk you through your options at your initial consultation and answer all your questions.